Newsgroups: alt.nettime

	previous	workgroup	thread	next

Subject: Re: <nettime> Blaming Soros, the Burmese currency crisis
From: Declan McCullagh <declan@pathfinder.com>
Date: 29 Jul 1997 06:52:24 +0200

* * * * *

Sender: owner-nettime-l@Desk.nl

I visited Burma a few months ago. My report is at:

Linkname: Our Man in Burma
Filename: http://cgi.pathfinder.com/netly/editorial/0,1012,475,00.html

I, too, shed no tears for SLORC, the brutal ruling military junta. I
narrowly escaped being arrested a few times. It's precisely because of the
repressive military rule that the country is one of the 10 poorest in the
world, even though it enjoys rich natural resources.

-Declan

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, MediaFilter wrote:

> Before you cry for the military thugs who enslave burma,
> or further demonize George Soros for his sleazy capitalist
> games, get the background on Burma:
>
> For 34 years the people of Burma have been ruled by a military junta as
> tyrannical and secretive as any in the modern era. Now, desperate for
> hard currency, the country's dictators are at pains to establish Burma
> as a vacation paradise. Posing as a travel consultant, John Pilger
> penetrated beyond this new tourist trail to uncover a nightmare
> world of
> intimidation, forced displacement, and slavery.
>
> The Burmese Gulag
> by John Pilger from Issue 58, CovertAction Quarterly
> http://caq.com/CAQ/CAQ58burmese.html

---
# distributed via nettime-l : no commercial use without permission
# <nettime> is a closed moderated mailinglist for net criticism,
# more info: majordomo@icf.de and "info nettime" in the msg body