Newsgroups: alt.nettime

	previous	workgroup	thread	next

Subject: <nettime> telco-politics in India
From: Patrice Riemens <patrice@xs4all.nl>
Date: 15 Aug 1997 11:57:54 +0200

* * * * *

To: nettime-l@Desk.nl
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 11:39:18 +0200 (MET DST)
Sender: owner-nettime-l@Desk.nl

Hi Folks,

I'm cross-posting this piece from G-N-D because it gives some background
on the almost surealistic situation with regard to external
(tele)communication flows in India' 50est year of independence. You have
to realise that the state-owned VSNL, which has absolute monopoly in
running India's external telco-links (ie telephone/fax, telex, and what
remains of the telegraph system) is also the almost sole provider of
Internet access to the non-institutionnal sector. This was one the main
subject we discussed in a telephonic interview with Goan Internet wizzard
Boogie Viegas in Kassel (documentaX, HybridWorkSpace, the Bandwidth
programme) (http://www.icf.de/workspace)
cheers,
patrice

# more info: majordomo@icf.de and "info nettime" in the msg body