Newsgroups: alt.nettime

	previous	workgroup	thread	next

Subject: <nettime> Radio101, Croatia / SHORT-LIVED DEMOCRACY
From: ZENSKAINFO_ZG@ZAMIR-ZG.ztn.apc.org (Zenska infoteka)
Date: 17 Nov 1997 14:51:57 +0100

* * * * *

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 17:42:00 +0200
Sender: owner-nettime-l@Desk.nl

## Message of 14.11.97 forwarded
## Originally: ARKZIN_ZG@PZ-ARKZ.ztn.apc.org
## Made by: ZENSKAINFO_ZG@ZAMIR-ZG.ZTN.APC.ORG

It was only a year ago that thousands of people
demonstrated on the main square of Trg Ban Jelacic in the
capital city of Croatia, Zagreb, to show their support
for the radio station Radio 101, and to express their
anger and resentment at a government which was using non
democratic means to close down what they considered an
anti-governmental radio show (in other words, a radio
station which criticized and exposed the non-democratic
practices of the governing party). Radio 101 was granted
its liscence after this event, and the city of Zagreb
experienced a sense of accomplishment and success in its
practice of freedom of speech and expression.
Nevertheless, the taste of success was brief, for
following their victory, Radio 101 has turned its various
programs into cynical exhibitions of jouvenille behaviour
which express and support racist, sexist, and
nationalistic attitudes prevalent in the very government
which almost destroyed them.
On November 13, 1997, Djurdja Knezevic was invited to
partake in a discussion on the topic of feminism on Radio
101 with Predrag Raos which was entitled "I don't
understand". After a brief and insulting introduction by
Mr.Raos, Ms.Knezevic was subjected to insult after
insult, ranging from slanders on Women's Groups, anti
lesbian remarks, and various other mindless jargon to
which she was not given adequate time or opportunity to
rebuke or debate. In short, there was little to debate
seeing that Ms.Knezevic's presence was solely for the
purpose of one man's expression of his hatred and
prejudiced views. This being the case, Ms.Knezevic left
the radio program, at which Mr.Raos took the opportunity
to continue his slanderous and insulting remarks.
We are in the process of translating several texts
which resulted from this radio program, however, we
wanted to make those in the international community aware
of the practices taking place in Radio 101 as soon as
possible. We believe that the spreading of these
attitudes must be stopped, particularly when it is done
by a program or organisation which basis its identity on
the false mask of "the only democratic radio station in
Croatia". With the demostration as a well-documented
source of evidence, we feel that Radio 101 has abused the
trust and good-will of all those who stood that day on
the main square, all of whom were there not for one radio
program/station, but for the right to practicing one's
democratic rights, and not for the further spreading and
expression of hatred, nationalism, anti-semitism, sexism,
racism, which are plaguing the country and the minds of
those in power.
You may expect further materials and information
relating to this event, including a recording of the
actual program, so that there will be no doubt as to the
above interpretation of the event. We would like to take
concrete action against the above-mentioned practices and
would appreciate your support and any suggestions that you
may have.
Once again, we must take action to support freedom
of expression, the freedom of choice in lifestyle and
thoughts, regardless of gender, race, nationality, etc.,
and to ensure that there will always be a venue to
express these ideas. Radio 101 has failed in this task,
but we will not allow them to restrict this right to
others.

Women's Infoteka
## CrossPoint v3.02 ##
---
# distributed via nettime-l : no commercial use without permission
# <nettime> is a closed moderated mailinglist for net criticism,
# more info: majordomo@icf.de and "info nettime" in the msg body