Newsgroups: alt.nettime

	previous	workgroup	thread	next

Subject: <nettime> Re: Serbian concern
From: michael.benson@pristop.si
Date: 5 Mar 1998 09:16:57 +0100

* * * * *

Sender: owner-nettime-l@basis.Desk.nl

Richard wrote:

> Of course it's
> possible to have a discussion about Servian rights in Kosovo, and about the
> what is allowed in resistance by etnic Albanians, but I don't think nettime
> is the propper place to conduct this discussion. Or am I wrong?

An interesting question, especially given the more expansive
parameters recently called for in nettime (more fiction, rants,
raves, etc.). Way back in the background of certain paintings by
Pieter Bruegel the Elder, little tiny events can sometimes be seen
taking place -- a little splash in the water, for example, where
Icarus fell, or a small insignificant guy dragging a cross through
the dirt, even a murder or two. In the foreground, usually,
is a big turbulent blare of humanity, frequently seen collectively
trying to out-shout each other. The striking thing, in sifting the
infosphere the last couple days, is how downplayed Kosovo has been.
The feeling seems to be, 'oh no, not more of THAT. We saw that movie.
It wasn't very entertaining the first time around.' I'm certainly not
suggesting this is Richard's view. I'm just responding to the idea
that this type of discussion would be more suitable -- well,
elsewhere. And given the nature of the 'OK Richard van den Brink...
Be serious... my atrocity photos are more valid than yours' response
from Andrej Tisma, I can certainly understand why he would think that
maybe nettime wasn't really a bar big enough for the discussion.

Still, I do think that there's a danger, sometimes, of getting lost
in the digitized foreground while yet another front opens up in what
has been the most disgusting revival of fascism in post-war European
history. I guess we probably do all have better things to talk
about, and in calmer tones. It's instructive that in their new 75th
anniversary issue, Time magazine lists (under the heading "Misses")
as one of their all-time worst selling covers, the May 17th "Anguish
Over Bosnia" issue. Up above, we see that the best sellers (the
"Hits") were two Death of Di covers -- way at the top -- and a War in
the Gulf cover. Leaving aside the target-oriented metaphor of the
headlines, the "miss" that I cited -- well, it's not a dud because
it's about death, or about war either, really, is it? Rather it's a
matter of packaging and production values.The death of a glamorous
princess and surgical strikes from the sky by the full force
of the almighty US Air Force have, let's admit it, more entertainment
value than another tedious low-budget police action by Serbian
paramilitaries to quell the secessionist/terrorist activities of all
those inconvenient foreigners who have been encamped on their
territory for the last couple thousand years. So probably we should
all thank Andrej Tisma for his 'concern', and even for reminding us
all that "In two days policemen could kill at least 2000 unarmed
civilians". (While I get the feeling it might be unwise to quibble
over such statistics, given the evident relish of the opinion, I
assume that he means either: A. policemen not armed with
of heavy artillery, in which case the numbers, as previous recent
'police actions' in a nearby region have shown, can be far higher, or
B. policemen not supplied with a steady stream of terrified prisoners
packed into trucks, in which case the numbers, as previous recent
'police actions' in a nearby region have shown, can be far higher.)

Andrej Tisma says "Terrorism has to be destroyed. There should be no
sentimentality." Well there it is, all inconveniently frothed up,
written down and mailed out to the nettime list. The thing that keeps
me up at night is that I completely agree with him.

Michael Benson
Ljubljana

michael.benson@pristop.si
website: http://lois.kud-fp.si/kinetikon/

---
# distributed via nettime-l : no commercial use without permission
# <nettime> is a closed moderated mailinglist for net criticism,
# more info: majordomo@icf.de and "info nettime" in the msg body