Newsgroups: workspace.deep_europe

previous    top    workgroup    thread    next

Subject: Re: BROKEN EUROPEAN DREAM
From: schwietr <schwietr@hrz.uni-kassel.de>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 15:56:29 METDST

* * * * *

aart <aart@eunet.yu> wrote:

> The former Yugoslavia, which was torned apart by the war, was a
> good model for future Europe. Many nations (about 20) living together,
> many languages, many religions together. Was the old and tired Europe
> jalous of our hapiness and peacefulness when it decided, with the
> help of USA, to destroy our country?

Obviously nonsense. Any sort of transnational union, in Europe or anywhere else,
must be based on the free will of the participants, which includes the right to
depart the union. and first of all it must be based on the right of democratic
selfdetermination. Neither of these conditions was given in the former
Yugoslavia. So anyone must be blind for the reality to argue that the former
Yugoslavia can be seen as a model for the European Union.