Newsgroups: workspace.deep_europe

previous    top    workgroup    thread    next

Subject: Polish web-pages presentation in the Workspace
From: Michiel van der Haagen <mvdh@icm.edu.pl>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 21:06:11 METDST

* * * * *

On Friday and Sunday we presented the result of the Internet Workshop for
Artists of the Centre for Contemporary art in Warsaw and other Polish Web-pages.
The Workspace audience is not an easy one. There is all the time a comming and
going of people who have only a limited amount of time to see the whole
dokumenta. So I was happy that at the end of the presentation quit a large group
had gathered that was realy interested in the presented material.
The two workshops where attended by young artists from different disciplines.
There whas a writer philosopher, a few graphic designers, some curators,
painters, sculptors, photographers, and video artists. For most of them this was
their first contact with the Internet and with making interactive work. Most of
them made a Web project.
The results can be seen at:
http://csw.art.pl/warsztaty
http://csw.art.pl/warsztat02
We also gave a short skech of the Polish Internet access. The Polish telecom
has in each big city a telephone number where you can call in for a free ppp
connection. However you don't have e-mail and you don't have a place to put
Web-pages. This way people learn that the Internet is like TV something that
puts information into your house. Of course smart people can alway's fnd free
e-mail accounts and places to put Web-pages.

Deep Europe was an exiting meeting with interesting and nice people.
Marta and Michiel van der Haagen