Newsgroups: workspace.g-recycling_the_future,
workspace.recycling_the_future

previous    top    workgroup    thread    next

Subject: Josephine Bosma: Nettime Interview with Heidi Grundmann
From: tomH <tibet@seconds.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 15:11:10 METDST

* * * * *

From: Josephine Bosma <jesis@xs4all.nl>
To: nettime-l@Desk.nl
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 15:42:57 +0200 (MET DST)
Forwarded by: tomH

RECYCLING THE FUTURE / A PROJECT IN 4 EPISODES
http://thing.at/orfkunstradio/FUTURE/DX/

***** NETTIME INTERVIEW WITH HEIDI GRUNDMANN BY JOSEPHINE BOSMA ******

This is an interview with Heidi Grundmann, the woman behind ORF
Kunstradio [http://thing.at/orfkunstradio], the first main internet
radio experimentators in Europe. (If I make a mistake here, do let me
know.) The interview was made in Ljubljana, again, and it is a good
addition to my article on net.radio in zkp4
[http://www.factory.org/nettime/] . It also has interesting
connections to the net.art discussions. What I particularly like is
what Heidi Grundmann says towards the end of this interview, when I
ask her how she experienced her transition from visual arts to
audio/radio art. The early seventies with its extreme conceptual art,
which was so rudely swept aside by early eighties primitivism and
expressionism, with its dematerialised art seems to have connected
more smoothly then ever between different media and specificly
electronic/invisible media and the arts. There is no real seperate
media then of course, but all art(de-)material. But this is my very
personally stimulating discovery of missing links, to expand my
thoughts.
Hope you like it too.

***

Heidi Grundmann: My background is radio journalism. I used to report
on contemporary visual arts and took a strong interest on the subjects
of art and technology and art in the public space. Because I'm
working for an organisation like the Austrian national radio, I should
say that we still have almost a monopoly in Austria. We don't have a
multitude of radios like in other countries. Now its changing a little
bit, but it is still a very monolithic structure.

Anyway, I was working for the cultural actuality program, - the
"Kulturredaktion" - and then I changed from being somebody who
reported on contemporary visual art to somebody who had a program in
the features and radio drama department. I just shifted inside the
organisation. That was in 1987. Because of my work before, talking to
so many many artists in the field of art and technology, art in the
public space and art and telecommunications, I was somehow in the
position to define my new program as a space for radio art and, what
is more important, as a kind of entrance point for artists of all
kinds, visual artists, composers or writers, whatever, who wanted to
position their work in the context of public radio.

The space of public radio can of course be defined and delineated in
many different ways and that is what these artists did. There are
people who define it as a sculptural space, others defined it as a
public space comparable to the public urban space, where art is
confronted with everyday life. Others want to make interventions in
that space, others again want to remix the material that is being
broadcast, yet others are very interested in the communicationside of
it all. Some make complex layerings of sounds and enjoy using the
production facilities of a National radio, others only deal with
live-radio etc.

Around what was originally a weekly radio program, that over the last
ten years helped artists to produce and develop ways to reflect the
context of public radio as it reaches into society, somehow a body of
theoretical discourse also somehow evolved. It evolved out of the
practice of the artists and was tested in the framework of several
radio-art symposia where the artist-theoreticians met with
media-theorists. I still think some of the artists are among the best
theorists, because they don't come from books but from the practice of
positioning their work in very complex cultural-technological
contexts.

Over the years there has been a string of projects connecting
live-radio, the space of radio-transmission to other public spaces
like museums or the urban space from shopping malls to big open
squares or a whole network of different locations in one or different
cities.

From the very beginning there has been a group of artists connected to
the Kunstradio that were very interested in telecommunications and
actually belonged to the pioneers of telecommunications art in Europe.
They informed the theoretical background of the Kunstradio very
strongly.

It is a specific Austrian development that there has been a relatively
long and strong tradition of telematic work in the field of art.
During the late 70s and the 80s this telecommunication art developed
outside the radio using all kind of new technologies connected to the
telephone. But some of the artists involved in telecommunications
would sometimes also produce radio-art. Only in the beginning of the
90s a younger generation, I think it was the third or fourth, started
to develop projects in which they connected the space of electronic
networks with the space of the public radio into one single space of
artistic action and intervention. Issues that had been at the heart of
the telematic projects of the 80s and that some of the radio-artists
had tried to deal with by going into the archives of the radio, by
developing pieces without beginning or end, by involving listeners and
technicians etc. now suddenly had a much more powerful and much
clearer impact on the radio: the question of authorship; the question
of everything becoming material that can be fragmented, sampled,
recycled, put into different contexts; the question of the traditional
notion of work of art being completely redefined; the question of
copyright - all these issues were suddenly swept clearly to the
surface by the kind of projects that connect the space of traditional
radio to the space of electronic networks.

***

Q: Can you tell me what you call telematic art?

Heidi Grundmann: Telematic ... I've always had a problem with an exact
definition. It is one of those words that are really just notions to
keep a dialogue going, to be able to talk about something evolving in
connection with new communication technologies. Everybody interprets
it differently but it was used quite early to refer to projects in
which artists used telecommunications media. It is about art that
works at a distance. Art that deals with simultaneity, telepresence,
distributed authorship as Roy Ascot called it, who in the early 80s
initiated a very examplary telematic project called "La Plissure du
Texte" [http://www.bmts.com/~normill/Texts/Plissure.txt] . It was a
global fairytale that was told by sixteen different stations in the
world over two weeks - using a forerunner of the Internet in e-mail
and conference mode. And nobody knew how many people participated,
nobody was *the* author but everybody who participated was one author
of many. The work itself could basically only be experienced by the
participants and each of them experienced his or her own version. It
was not possible to mediate this kind of fairytale to a traditional
passive audience ...

***

Q: Was this all in your radioshow?

Heidi Grundmann: These early telematic projects were not radio. But
strangely enough, what in hindsight looks interesting was the first
telematic project in which European artists participated. It took
place in 1979 and was called "Interplay". There was a worldwide set up
with this IP Sharp timesharing system that functioned quite similar
to the Internet. There were people in Vienna participating, because
there was a local office of this IP Sharp firm that was quite
interested in having artists working with it. These artists were
Richard Kriesche and Robert Adrian
[http://www.thing.or.at/thing/orfkunstradio/BIOS/bobbio.html] . The
artists were in the office and the man who ran the IPSharp office was
in my live radio studio, trying to make the listener understand what
was happening. It was a radio program really *about* art activities.
The man was sitting there with his terminal trying to type in his
messages and to participate in the project in which artists in over 10
cities around the world were connected. Meters and meters of paper
were running out of the printer. We just couldn't read everything that
was coming in to the listeners. We could not say, now this is from
San Fransisco and this is from Sydney.- there were just too many
messages. It was extremely difficult to give the listeners any
impression of what was going on. The radio studio had become one more
live node in a telematic network. But what went out on the radio was
just read texts ... mostly in English and in between helpless attempts
to explain something quite incomprehensible to most people including
me. This was the first connection that I know of between live radio
and a telematic project.

Ten years later, because not only the technology had developed so much
further, but also the thinking, the conceptualising and the practice
of an art that kept three generations of visual artists, composers,
musicians, technicians busy, it was possible to formulate what was
then called simultaneous telematic radio projects
[http://www.giardini.sm/oradio.htm] . There were, as you know, the
projects [http://www.utopia.or.at/transit/chipradio/bio.html] in which
Gerfried Stocker was involved (Others involved were Seppo, Horst
Hoertner, and then Mia Zabelka, Andres Bosshard, Isabella Bordoni,
Roberto Paci Dalo [http://www.giardini.sm/rpdbio.htm], Andrea Sodomka,
Martin Breindl, Norbert Math, Martin Schitter and on several
occasions Dutch artists connected to V 2 and many others).
Gerfried Stocker was one of the people who came to Kunstradio in the
beginning of the 90s and said: "We have this sculpture standing at the
Expo in Sevilla and its run via telephone, modems, midi and
computers. Why don't we make a concert where I am sitting in the radio
studio in Vienna and I have all kinds of samplers and sequencers. The
people in Sevilla will then trigger the sounds in the studio in
Vienna. We can broadcast them live, but we can also send back what
they have triggered, so they can mix it there with other sounds and
resend it to us and the radio just becomes one outlet in a recycling
process really - recycling and re-assembling of material".

From then on Kunstradio helped organise a series of similar projects:
simultaneous telematic radio (and at one point even TV-) projects.
Finally two very big worldwide projects were developed and realised:
Horizontal Radio
[http://www.thing.or.at/thing/orfkunstradio/HORRAD/horrad.html] in
1995 and Rivers and Bridges
[http://www.thing.or.at/thing/orfkunstradio/RIV_BRI/info.html] last
year. And this year we are planning another one with the title
"Station to Station" in December. The EBU (European Broadcasting
Union) Ars Acustica group also got involved. This is a group made up
of all the radio-art producers and editors in public radios in Europe,
North America and Australia. The Ars Acustica group is getting bigger
and bigger and each country has a completely different tradition and
definition of radio art. It was possible to involve the Ars Acustica
group in the Horizontal Radio, Rivers & Bridges and now Station to
Station projects - actually the Ars Acustica Group took them on as its
annual projects.

The basic principle of the projects was really developed from the
early telematic projects. Horizontal Radio even explicitely referred
to the project "The World in 24 hours"
[http://www.aec.at/freelance/rax/24_HOURS/index.html] that Robert
Adrian [http://www.thing.or.at/thing/orfkunstradio/BIOS/bobbio.html]
had initiated in 1982: Every 'station' could participate according to
the means they had, according to the art notions they had, according
to whatever they wanted to do. But the contributions had to be fed
into the network of radio- and telefone lines within a negotiated slot
of 24 hours. Everybody had to give and take. There was no central
event that was transmitted to all participants. The event consisted of
everything that happened during the 24 hours in the very complex
network between on site, on line and on air activities at over 20
locations on three continents. Five internet servers were
participating in 1995 and the users could influence the output by
triggering all kind of material on on-site CD's, which then was
flowing back into the network of the radios and was then broadcast in
differet parts of the world in completely different contexts. All the
programs were live and all the programs took fragments of the
incredible wealth of activity going on all over the world and
rearranged the material with their own material and sent it back to
the other nodes. There were many performances and installations taking
place in front of a live audience.

The next year Rivers&Bridges did something very similar but with a
much more important role for the internet (18 hours of Real Audio
Live) and with more connections between public and independent radios.
Again it became a huge network between many locations on three
continents.

Since Horizontal Radio the name "Horizontal Radio" has become a
general name for this genre of international simultaneous projects
connecting the radiospace in a different way filling it with a
different content handling it in a different manner: horizontally,
opening up the medium of radio to other physical and virtual spaces -
collaging these spaces in live situations.

***

Q: Is Ars Acustica connected to Ars Electronica [http://www.aec.at] ?

Heidi Grundmann: No, Ars Acustica is a name that I think does not
really fit what has happened in the Ars Acustica group during the last
two years. To me Ars Acustica refers to the traditional sound-radio.
A medium that functioned by itself in a very specific way. A very
interesting and rich acoustic art developed since the avantgarde of
the beginning of the century, an acoustic art which eventually found
its place also in radio - reflecting it with the means of transmitted
sound, often produced in the elaborate studios of National Public
Radios. One organisation that was, and still is, very active in this
field is the West Deutsche Rundfunk in Cologne, with Klaus Schoening,
who also developed the whole notion of Neues Hoerspiel. He worked a
lot with FLuxus artists and developed, over many years, a huge body of
what he calls "Ars Acustica". He was one of the founders of that
group in the EBU and its first coordinator, and so the group took on
this name.

Not very long after that, about the end of 80s, radio started to
change noticeably because of digitalisation, under the impact of the
so-called convergence of massmedia, the computer and
telecommunication. And so today I am convinced that radio is not only
about sound anymore. I am not happy with the term internet-radio
myself, but definitely if there is such a thing, if you webcast
something, if you do live activities in the internet, then its
definitely also visual radio - radio to look at. Its by no means only
about sound. The way radio - commercial radio, the big national
organisations, but even independent or pirate radio - is developing,
it is no longer simply the smaller of the Radio/TV massmedia twins,
but has become part of what we call a "Medienverbund" (media
combination/union), a new type of network of different media. And the
leading medium in this Verbund is the computer as Wolfgang Hagen has
pointed out. Sound is then only one form of many possible
representations of data. For instance, digital radio can lead you
through traffic (by visual maps or text or sound), open your garage
door, start to cook your dinner, display the text of the bio and a
photo of a composer whose music you are listening to etc. Now we are
in a situation where we just start to try to grasp what this
megamedium that looms on the horizon might mean for our culture.

Today we are dealing with many different hybrids between old and new
forms and the old familiar radio, as an isolated listening medium that
brings you news, drama, music, talk and is a reliable companion,
whose clocklike habits accompany you as a flow of sound. is a
nostalgic relic. There are many artists working in and for the context
of this nostalgic medium but there are many others working in a
hybrid networked space of constant change.

Now the big, culturally very relevant thing is that there is a very
powerful commercial conglomerate in this 'Medienverbund' and even most
of the public radio and televisions are looking at the new media not
as a cultural field but as a field for business. They are hoping to
make money! Also with cultural programs - I can see that the
environment in which my radio-program is located has changed
completely. Even the cultural channel that is really funded, by law,
by listeners fees is doing 'marketing'. All these commercial concepts
have entered the daily functioning of non-commercial radio - including
firms and banks coming in by the backdoor to sponsor things.

I think the lines are suddenly running on different borders, between
the commercial sector and the cultural non-commercial sector. I think
it is strategically very important to form new alliances there. A
program like Kunstradio and the work of the artists working for
Kunstradio is something alien to the structure of that commercial or
semi-commercial culture, even on a cultural channel. In a way, we have
much more affinity to free radio, independent radio or to
media-activism reflecting the internet etc. It is different alliances
that come together now and it is very necessary that they do come
together. There is a new type of marginalisation going on ...I mean,
the commercial pressures are at any rate so strong that there is a
need to save some place for a process of reflection, whether you call
it art or whatever. What is happening to our culture needs to be
reflected, thought about. Some of the artists that I have the pleasure
to work with are very important figures in this kind of reflection
process. Again: because they are very strong theoreticians and because
they also have very strong attitudes towards what is happening to our
culture. And both, their theories and their attitudes are informed by
their practice in the new mediaspace.

***

Q: What exactly would you like to see happening? You painted a bit of
a picture of something that might be called a danger to free art
radio. Is there something that absolutely needs to be part of this new
free media network?

Heidi Grundmann: I don't see any solutions at all. Solutions are not
at all visible in any discussions going on. For example; the one on
net.art shows that nobody knows a solution, nobody has an answer.
Everybody is asking questions. But what I think is very important, if
one is interested at all in culture and what culture is, that
strategies be developed for different groups forming again and again
for the purpose of realising different projects or whatever you may
call the different frames from which people work, certain aspects of
the question 'how is our culture changing now?'. The groups are very
important because it is a territory where no individual art is really
possible. You can do a little tiny thing, like send a virus into the
web and things like that (as an individual). But basically individual
artists can not work there. I can only see that groups and constantly
changing groupings of so-called artists and non-artists are forming
all the time.

One very strong aspect of Kunstradio, even as far as the normal weekly
radioprogram is concerned, is that the artists have, since many
years, recognised that a certain type of technician has become
co-author of their pieces. They could not do it without this type of
very engaged technician, who are in turn challenged by the artists to
find different solutions and so on - plus the the aspect that people
from different disciplines are suddenly working together. Some people
come from music, others come from dance; there are the people from the
visual arts, people from literature, and they constantly reshuffle in
groups to do things. They take on different tasks, and they are
developing new production strategies for this new kind of conglomerate
of media. It is a constant learning, developing and researching
process that needs groupings of some sort. They don't need to be
groups for life, but for certain projects. They also have to look over
the borders of one organisation or one country or whatever. Its a
constant looking out and putting energy together. Acting to the
moment, which is difficult enough to grasp.

As long as this kind of networking also among people is taking place,
I think, even when we don't know where it is going, there is a lot of
hope.

***

Q: You come from the visual arts, but you are now mostly into audio
art. How did that change occur and did you like it? Now with net.radio
we are moving more towards the visual realm again, do you regret
that?

Heidi Grundmann: I started out to report and write about visual arts,
but I did it in a medium that was not visual at all. There was not
even an internet where I could have made little reproductions of what
I am talking about. It was really just a medium where you could talk
and make interviews. Also at the time when I got into that there was
performance art, there was conceptual art and all kinds of
dematerialised art. The theories of the artists doing this work were
very important. So my move was very natural. I met a lot of people who
were working as artists in the radio, with live radio for instance.
That was a very very natural thing. It was not necessary to have
images, physical images for this type of visual art activity. It had
dematerialised, away from the physical image or object. Now there are
images on the web, but they are only one aspect, they are one way that
data can be interpreted. I think most people working in the field see
it also like that. They see a whole range of possibilities to do
something with data. The basis of it all is dealing with information
and data.

The whole notion of art has changed to a degree where the name itself
is in question. Many artists question whether they want to call
themselves artists at all. But there is still something going on,
which I think is very important to our culture. Whether you name it
art or not. I find it fascinating. I myself am not an artist,
definitely never was and never will be. I changed from reporting on
things to being involved in the organisation and the developing of
projects. Thats of course a very very interesting field ...

---
# distributed via nettime-l : no commercial use without permission
# <nettime is a closed moderated mailinglist for net criticism,
# more info: majordomo@icf.de and "info nettime" in the msg body