Newsgroups: workspace.technoscience

previous    top    workgroup    thread    next

Subject: (no subject)
From: mute@easynet.co.UK (mute)
Date: 23 Aug 1997 19:07:27 +0200

* * * * *

Interview with John Gillott of the Genetic Interest Group by Josephine
Berry.

The Genetic Interest Group is a group that supports and promotes the
rights of patients suffering from genetic diseases and genetically
related disabilities. They have sucessfully lobbied on issues such as
the the legalisation of gene patenting - a law recently passed by the
European Parliament.Josephine Berry interviewed him on GIG's work and
the ethics involved in their agenda.

J.B.:
> - Firstly, I'd like to ask you about GIG's working methods and in
> specific who the main recipients of its papers and reports are and what
> sorts of political ties it has?
-------------------
J.G.:

GIG has no political ties. It is an alliance representing individuals
and
families affected by genetic disorders. An individual member would
typically be a group representing people affected by a specific genetic
condition, such as Huntington's disease or muscular dystrophy. GIG has a
management committee which is made up of individuals from the member
groups. It is elected from among the members on a regular basis.

The papers GIG produces are distributed widely, primarily to politicians
and policy makers in different fields. We are also interested in what is
now called the 'public understanding of science' and we seek to
disseminate
our views accordingly.
-------------------------
J.B.:
> - Would you consider there to be any parties amongst its sponsors, apart
> from individual sufferes, who might directly benefit from the unimpeded
> development of genetic research and biomedical activty.
------------------------
J.G.:

'Unimpeded' might need to be qualified. Most supporters of genetic
research
place some sort of restriction on what should be done with genetic
science.
Though clearly, GIG and others take a positive view of advances in the
basic science of genetics and look forward to many of the applications
it
makes possible.

If by sponsors you mean funders, then yes quite possibly. GIG receives
money from a range of sources, including: our members, the biotechnology
and pharmaceutical industry, government; charitable foundations.
------------------------------
J.B.:
> - Could you define exactly what is meant by the term 'genetic disease'?

J.G.:

We might need to break that down into 'genetic' and 'disease'. Genetic
in
so far as it is understood that a genetic mutation is the direct cause
of
or an increased risk-factor for a diseased state. 'Disease' as in
illness,
which might not have been understood to have a genetic basis in the
past,
eg cancer. Leaving aside the debate about the genetic basis for such
characteristics for the moment, GIG does not believe behavioral
characteristics such as homosexuality to be diseases.
-----------------------------------
J.B.:
> - I was very interested in the reference you made, in your paper 'A
> briefing paper on ante-natal and pre-implantation genetic diagnosis,
> embryo research and contemporary abortion issues' to the "general loss
> of confidence in the future and in science...". Could you talk a little
> bit about this sea change in attitudes and where you stand in relation
> to this description. Also, is this a culturally specific attitude?

---------------------------
J.G.:

This is a very broad area and I have a train to catch!

It is also a contentious question in so far as clearly GIG is making a
value judgement about contemporary attitudes. Others might say that
society
has not lost confidence in the future and in science but has rather
rightly
adopted a different perspective on these matters.

Perhaps the simplest thing to do is to leave it to the reader to form
their
own opinion on the point we make.
---------------------------------
J.B.:
> - In the above mentioned report, you talk about the 'opportunistic'
> appropriation by old school pro-lifers (who you describe as having lost
> the 'basic argument' on anti-abortion) of the criticism of eugenicist
> thinking levelled by dissability groups against selective termination of
> foetuses and pre-implantation diagnosis. Firstly, It seems very in
> keeping with their non-interventionist approach to child birth and for
> that reason hardly opportunistic. Secondly, and perhaps this goes deeper
> into the essence of your position, within it is the implication that
> actual sufferers or people with disabilities are the only groups who can
> legitimately defend the importance of/and or right to life of the
> 'unhealthy'. Is it not also possible for 'the healthy' to legitimately
> voice their concern about levels of medical intervention and control in
> their own society?

J.G.:

On the first point: yes it is quite consistent for the pro-life movement
object to medical intervention into conception and birth. We had in mind
different point. Some disability activists argue that selective
termination
is a form of discrimination against people with disabilities and
actually
leads to discrimination against those living with a condition. The
opportunism we refered to was the use of these specific arguments by the
anti-abortion lobby as they have lost the basic argument against
abortion
in general or against the use of new technologies in the field of
conception and termination in general.

On the second point, you are of course right: there is no monopoly of
truth
just because you have experience of a genetic condition. But our point
is
that in our opinion there is no problem about the level of medical
intervention and control. Intervention and control could be understood
as
coercion. Our point is that new technologies are not coercive. Rather
individuals with experience of genetic conditions in families commonly
request access to new technologies.
------------------------------------
J.B.:
> - I was interested to read how conservatives and liberals have united in
> their opposition to pre-implantation and ante-natal interventions. What
> do you consider to be the common thinking or premises that lie between
> these groups - how does this span their otherwise broad separation?

J.G.:

Again, a big question!

Very briefly, I would argue that old divisions between conservatives and
liberals are no longer very meaningful, and that both have become more
conservative (with a small c). Certainly, what unites people of many
political persuasions is a suspicion of forms of science and scientific
expertise linked to interventions in nature and society. A big influence
on
this is environmental politics, broadly understood, and also the themes
collected under the heading 'Risk Society' which include crtitiques of
instrumental thinking and action of which modern genetics is seen to be
an
example.

Another aspect of the demise of old-style liberalism (small l) is that
individual choice is commonly problematised today. So, whereas in the
past
the right of the individual to make their own reproductive choices was
supported by many, this is now qualified without being opposed outright.
-------------------------
J.B.:

> - Would you accept that definitions of sickness or disability are
> culturally informed? In other words, can these conditions be described
> as a priori undesirable and is society measurably better off as a whole
> without them?

----------------------
J.G.:

Clearly, definitions of disability and sickness are culturally informed.
Clearly, also, the organisation of society has a big impact on people
with
genetic conditions.

However, this does not mean that disability and sickness are primarily
culturally informed. Genetic disorders and sickness are organic
conditions
which most people who suffer from them would rather not have, which is
why
they support genetic research.
-----------------------------------
J.B.:
> - Do you see a discrepancy between the loss of the basic fight on
> anti-abortion and growing worries over embryonic discrimination?

-------------------------
J.G.:

No, obviously. It is our view that worries over embryonic discrimination
are informed by a different set of ideas than those that underpinned the
classic opoosition to abortion per se (see above and the GIG briefing
paper).
----------------------------------
J.B.:
> - GIG has stated: "GIG firmly believes that individuals must be free to
> make their own decisions because they are the ones who will have to live
> with the consequences of those decisions". How does this tie into the
> basic principle of any ethics i.e. that it is concensual and aimed at
> establishing a situation of majority well being? Not wishing to
> over-dramatise, but a good example of this is the criminal who must also
> live with the consequences of their actions. This is no reason to grant
> them freedom of action.
---------------------------
J.G.:

The way you pose it and the analogy you draw carries with it certain
assumptions about what the 'majority' point of view might be, and the
morality of the choice to terminate.

GIG is not arguing for the freedom to do terrible things. GIG is making
the
point that there is no harm to society in the decision to terminate (or
not
to terminate) on the grounds of fetal abnormality, and that the real
harm
would be done to the individual woman and family if their ability to
make
their own choices in an area that directly affects their own lives was
restricted.

There is no clash here between individual choice and majority
well-being.
-----------------------------
J.B.:
> - This leads directly into my final question, which is: do you foresee
> any long-term detrimental effects for a society which pre-selects the
> children being born in it?

------------------------------
J.G.:

I don't agree with the way you pose it: 'Society' is not selecting;
individuals are. Of course, society makes certain choices possible. And
as
we point out, the choice most people want to be able to make is to
terminate a pregnancy that is affected by a genetic disorder. Is this is
problem? No - it is a perfectly understandable and reasonable choice.

So long as coercion is avoided, the reduction of suffering made possible
by
advances in genetic science is something GIG welcomes.