Newsgroups: workspace.theme_follows_function

previous    top    workgroup    thread    next

Subject: Re: code 404
From: micz <h0444ygr@rz.hu-berlin.de>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 12:36:56 METDST

* * * * *

hi

well, that is well spotted... code 404...

>> > And how are machine sounds turned into hummable and danceable codes
>> > (303/404/707/808)?
>>
>> Certainly not a few of those danceable codes :)
>> The items you refer to are known as Roland's x0x boxes:
>> ***there is no 404, as 4, "shi," in japanese, means death, and is
>> regarded much the same way as americans regard "13."

and here is how it happened. checking the hits on the contd pages
i found the following line as part of the statistics:

1.57 0.12 75400 269 | Code 404 Not Found Requests

while we were writing the call for contributions i introduced
these lines into the process ... and they made their way into
the text as well as the signature of somebody also involved
in luxus cont. which looks like this:

code 404! code 404! code 404!

code 404! code 404! code 404!
code 404! code 404! code 404!
code 404!

as you can see: code 404 seems not only to be a resistant code but
despite it's allegedly diabolic force becomes as much signifier of
communication (i.e. signature) as it becomes a conversation piece
itself (i.e. your mail).

your e-mail is one of the many missing links we were hoping to
receive...

all the best,

micz