Newsgroups: workspace.theme_follows_function

previous    top    workgroup    thread    next

Subject: Re: code 404
From: pit <pit@icf.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 00:58:23 METDST

* * * * *

Wolfgang Fellenz <wfellenz@compuserve.com> wrote:

> JMAXWELL@POMONA.EDU (Stupid Octave Cat) wrote:
> > On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, luxus cont. wrote:
> >
> > > How does noise blend into HI-FI, and: "how is sound organised?". To
> > > what extent are cultural agreements already built into gadget design?
> > > And how are machine sounds turned into hummable and danceable codes
> > > (303/404/707/808)?
that's already pretty atavistic, like mystifying to Jimi Hendrix
stratocaster.. it's not in the machines itself, its the way how
they are ab-used. and then how fast the singular
sounds become repeated and watered down into chart-hits, like
what U2 does or what rebirth of propellerheads did, mystifying a
certain sound which became already a bit boring, expected to do
all the same old beats and tracks with the same old gadgets..

> > anyway, that's my $0.02. I'm not so sure you can call them as having
> > "hummable codes," as mentioned before. They are either drum machines or
> > synthesizers, and can produce any melody or rhythm the musician wishes.

well, the engeneer is pretty much the favorite model of a musician
around. erasing any trail of expressionism, existential modes,
macho lies of rocknroll.
ok, if we feed the next mainstream, but lets not mystify these
machines, its still the question what you do with it and what
is really imressive is the variety and fluidity of what is
currently done in electronic music, far ahead of visual
'manifestation culturelle' (Katherina Witt). It still needs
a whole culture of filtering, selecting, remixing, performing,
transforming, and becoming a producer yourself.. Haus-musik.

/p