Newsgroups: workspace.we_want_bandwidth

previous    top    workgroup    thread    next

Subject: Re: Why More?
From: thomax <thomax@icf.de>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 20:46:50 METDST

* * * * *

Michael Eisenmenger <eisenmen@rci.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> Why More?
>
> As I was waiting for Workspace's 'media to load' and then after
waiting
> to restart my Mac when the java script for scrolling media hung my
> system, I pondered, do we need more bandwidth or do we need to
> reconsider how we utilize existing bandwidth? At what point do we
> sacrifice function for form, information for aesthetics? What would
> another user, say in El Salvador, be thinking about this waste of
> his/her precious access time to an internet terminal? Most
importantly
> at what point do we play into the hands of commercial entities who
want
> us to create more bandwidth demand so their markets can grow faster
> while also feeding their monopolistic frenzy?

hi,

if you decide to use java you should know what you do.
you can switch java off on your browser and work with
the alternate text.

you can use the workspace system by web with or without java.
you can also use it with lynx or thru a normal news client.
even better! you can use the system via e-mail!!

everything is possible with any bandwidth.

it is your decission how to use the workspace system.

for me, with a unix workstation, java is just fine.
at home i use the system via lynx (which is a ascii based
web client). for the usenet people (without direct internet
connectivity) it is also possible to understand workspace
as a mailinglist and use it via the mail.

test persons who checked out the interface just use the
java part with a 14.4bps modem. but again: you may decide
it for your own.

thomax